Saturday, October 24, 2015

278.365 - a commonality

I cannot do it
I can and do go to the gun range
I can and do shoot and shoot and shoot
I celebrate my scoring
I practice for marksmanship
but I cannot put myself
in the shoes, the jeans, the T-shirt
in the plaid overshirt
of the gunman shooting unarmed students
or unarmed black men and boys
I see myself Clint Eastwood
mostly I see myself myself
with the strange pleasure
of shooting and shooting well
with the strange pleasure
of caring for my gun
for some people I am part of the problem
I distrust your problem statement
you say my enjoying my gun makes your problem
I think your thinking would blame the car for its accident
would blame the airplane for the bomb
would blame the girl for her rapist
in each case there is a man involved
you overlook

No comments:

Post a Comment