Thursday, October 22, 2015

226.365 - discussion

you hurt, she said
yes, he said
I ache for the young black men dying
I sputter at cop after cop going free
I could scream about black women dying in jail
and I'm white
I hurt not knowing how to talk about it
that may all be true, she said
but not what I meant
your lower back aches
your left knee squeals
your ankle sometimes feels twisted
when you walk
even though you know you haven't turned it
yeah, he said, but those all pass
next day or the day after
they're all fine
she nodded, so this is how you want it?
for anything I say, you have a glib answer?
what, he said, oh no
she studied him
I mean, I'll listen, say again, he said
what if, she said, what if
you store your hurting for others
as pains in your body
oh, he dismissed, people can't really do that
I certainly can't
he laughed then looked around
he sat alone

No comments:

Post a Comment