Saturday, October 24, 2015

282.365 - god at work invisibly to some

the heavens opened, my father said
and the waters poured themselves upon the earth
but the sky just looked like clouds to me
clouds with rain falling
if there were heavens behind them
heavens with angels hosannaing
and dead Christians howling their hymns
the skies I looked at did not show them
clouds had gathered all morning
as if they held a grudge against the town
and as soon as noon passed
rain began
rain misted, sprinkled, poured, and clattered
but the clouds displayed no lightning and no thunder
and if there was a god behind all that went on
he didn't show himself to me
riding my bicycle out in the rain
til my clothes were drenched and my shoes ruined
at least my mother said so
and lord knows the voice of god spoke through her
so I sat and shivered in my blanket
peering at the clouds
and watching water accumulate in our backyard
New Mexico sand and soil accepted water fast as dirt could
but not as fast as water could fall
night shut the spectacle down but not the noise
rain drummed on roof almost all night
found its weaknesses and leaked through them
and I kept waiting for the heavens to show me anything
but they were busy with my father
helping him prepare his sermon for next Sunday
rain fell and water flowed and found someplace to go
by dawn the ground had begun to dry
the clouds, their business done, like bullies, faded away
the sun began its work of helping us forget that foolishness
at least til Sunday morning when the rain
became the work of God

No comments:

Post a Comment