Friday, October 23, 2015

246.365 - the call

love, she said
the poet lifted his head from the bar
not that she had addressed him
although he might hope she would
call him that very endearment
but no, he did not recognize her voice
had no expectation of first-sight spark
not while he despaired on the bar
no, he had come to the bar
hoping for the subject of his next poem
hell, hoping for its first line
once you're down to hope
you might as well hope big
she held her glass up for the barman to fill
love, she said again
the poet squinted
tried to receive whatever message
the universe sent him through her
she noticed him staring, raised her glass
may it pester others forever, she toasted
the poet smiled, staggered to her seat
and kissed her cheek
then hurried for the door
what's up with him, she asked the barman
he grinned and shrugged his shoulders
he's in here once or twice a week
a little dangerous, I think, but not too much
I've never thrown him out
listens for messages from beyond
tonight I think you gave him one
just my luck, she said
I'm in here hoping for a cosmic message
the universe speaks one through me
and I don't notice
what did I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment