Friday, September 9, 2016

anti-Republicanism - a personal development

anti-Republicanism

I don't know that I can call this an appreciation, it's probably more of a confession.  I come by my anti-Republicanism honestly, possibly not thoughtfully - is politics ever really thoughtful? - but honestly.  My father was a Republican.  He was a preacher, a missionary, and a Republican.  He was almost as much a Republican as he was a Christian.  He didn't particularly like Lincoln, but he was steadfast to Lincoln's party.  Down in Brasil, before I had an inkling about American politics, I knew I was not a Republican, was not and never would be.  Two men sucked me away from my own steadfastness.  Well, two men and a woman.  (Of course, right?)  Eisenhower, so damned decent!  How did he ever think he was a Republican?  But he was.  I was too young to vote but Eisenhower drew me, and I was embarrassed but I wavered.  Fortunately Joe McCarthy reminded me of what Republicans really stood for, and I was cured.  But later on I wavered again.  I read Ayn Rand, and I thought the world changed, I thought I had found Truth, I thought....  Or rather I didn't.  But while I was all caught up in that tumble, Goldwater came along and seemed like another decent man.  I wavered again.  I was sort of a Goldwater-Democrat, in as much as I was any kind of Democrat.  But I was cured again, this time by comparing my own experience to Truth.  You see, I was a working person.  I had a job while I was still twelve, and had one pretty continuously thereafter.  I was a paperboy.  I was a boot-black - that is I worked in a shoe repair shop, and my job was to shine the shoes beyond the customer's satisfaction (to my boss's satisfaction).  I was a drug store clerk and delivery person.  I went to work for the civil service as an engineer-in-training, and I got to dig trenches, then lay the cables that would lie in those trenches, and even to connect the cables to the buildings they were supposed to power; I got to help maintain very high speed movie cameras that we used to film missile launches; I got to work on building a telemetry trailer to go to Kwadjalein Atoll and record some missile tests there; I got to work in teams of telemetry operators that recorded the results of different missile tests.  I quit the civil service to work slightly more regular hours.  (I think getting married nudged me in that direction.)  so I worked in a 7-11 type of store for a while, but I also worked helping build experimental antennae and test them on an antenna range.  My point is I had a lot of experience being a working person and working alongside working people.  Now I have a friend who thinks that should have been great experience to make me side with corporations.  It did not.  I was on labor's side when I came to this country, just because my father was so anti-labor.  Everything I learned working with and beside working people made me more and more pro-labor.  We don't really have a pro-labor party.  We have the Republicans, which I couldn't be, and the Democrats, who are sometimes sorta kinda pro-labor if you don't press them very hard.  So I'm not much of a Democrat, but I am solidly anti-Republican, which makes me sorta kinda a Democrat.  And here you have the source and the development of this anti-Republican.

No comments:

Post a Comment