Monday, September 26, 2016

270.366 - 2016 project and Leonard Cohen

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

Leonard Cohen

can you believe it?  most of my life I did not know who Leonard Cohen was.  it's true!  I must have half-heard a couple dozen of his songs, half-memorized them - you know how you do, "lah-de-dah" and "dum-de-dum" for some of the words - or worse, half-misheard parts of them, my attention not really on the song but on what I was doing, motorcycling, or maintaining my motorcycle, or attending a picnic, or enduring a party.  and then along came k.d. lang, and I listened to her about the same way.  sigh.  I don't remember what she said or did or sang, but she suddenly changed from a mild "wow" to "oh!  I have to pay attention to her!"  so I listened and liked and admired and read about her and "blam!"  she sang "Hallelujah!" by Leonard Cohen.  oh my goodness!  I became a Leonard Cohen fan forty years late.  and embarrassedly learned I'd been a Leonard Cohen fan for a lot of years without knowing it because of my careless attention to music.  tsk upon me!  I think I've bought every album of his since k.d. lang performed "Hallelujah!" at the Canadian Winter Olympics in 2010.  well, BFD.  that's six years and not many albums.  but I've also bought a lot of his old singles.  and read and read and read Leonard Cohen.  wow indeed!  thank you, Leonard, for a long and amazing and important career!  and now you're about to release a new album, "You Want It Darker".  I've pre-ordered it - and I never pre-verb anything! - and bought the teaser song by the same name.  thank you again, Leonard Cohen.  thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment