Tuesday, September 27, 2016

271.366 - 2016 project and magic

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

magic

magic!  oh my goodness, yes!  it makes no sense.  I studied to be a physicist.  I studied to be an engineer.  neither would have anything to do with magic.  I worked at least twenty years in the unmanned exploration of space.  as magical as that seemed, no, it was cold hard logic at work with the forces of nature that we know.  then what?  who?  where?  when?  how?  I don't know, just that magic - at least magic in stories, has fascinated me since sometime after I began to read.  it wasn't until I was thirteen or so that I read about some piece of magic and said to myself, "no, magic wouldn't work like that."  what a funny idea, that magic is constrained!  yet there it was and I clearly believed it.  who?  oh, Merlin had magic, so did Morgan Le Fay.  the gods?  no, the gods are a species to themselves.  they have powers that would be magic in a human, but they are not magic.  so in my stories, at least half my stories, one or more of my characters has and uses magic, but never unlimited power.  some of my stories come about because someone who has magic cannot deal with the hurly-burly of this world and needs a physical bodyguard.  in my stories, typically, one character has more or more powerful magic than another character.  but whether I've got the hang of writing magic into a story or not, I love its use in a story - except of course, in the denouement.  that has rules of its own, and they don't allow magic except as decoration.  zie sprecht Wyatt.

No comments:

Post a Comment