Thursday, September 15, 2016

259.366 - 2016 project and Gandhi

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

Gandhi

he single-handedly chased the British out of India!  that's what I learned when I was little.  my parents spoke of this as A Bad Thing, and the other missionaries agreed with them, or they agreed with the other missionaries, I wasn't sure which.  either way sufficed to convince me it was A Very Good Thing.  that alone would make me appreciate him damn near seventy years later.  but  how did he chase them out?  civil disobedience and nonviolent protest. at 7 or 8, I could not believe it - the civil and the nonviolent parts.  he must've used magic.  if I could learn that magic, maybe I could chase the missionaries out of Brasil.  maybe I'd be a hero in Brasil!  as you know, that didn't happen.  when I read about Brasil now, I am appalled at how successful the missionaries were.  evangelicals rate mentioning in the same sentence as Catholics as far as percentage of the population goes.  we were a toenail clipping at the time I lived there, or I had that impression.  but back to Gandhi.  I later learned that his chasing the British out was a little more complicated than I had understood from the presentation in my elementary school.  that one must have been occasioned by his assassination in 1948.  I had to swallow hard and accept it when I learned he'd been a lawyer, and a very successful lawyer, before he became an Indian holy man.  (he was so successful that the British Governor of South Africa treated him with respect and wariness.)  and I later learned that both civil and nonviolent were real.  I still have to shake my head to let in that they really worked.  I thought the only kind of revolution that worked was George Washington's and Simon Bolivar's.  in any case, as well as I can tell, he really was a holy man, and the British really are out of India.  thank you, Gandhi, for making me believe, however shakily, that civility and nonviolence did work once and might work again.

No comments:

Post a Comment