Saturday, September 10, 2016

254.366 - 2016 project and science fiction

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

science fiction

but specifically science fiction up til 1986.  what, you might ask, happened to science fiction in 1986?  I quit reading it, that's what happened to it.  science fiction didn't do anything - that I know of.  no, I quit working in the unmanned exploration of space, in spacework at all, and quit reading science fiction and science fantasy.  weird.  weird because they'd been at least 40% of what I'd read up til then, on average and as a steady basis.  if you found me outside of work, you'd probably find me reading, and if you found me reading, I'd probably be reading science fiction or science fantasy.  I read Robert Howard, of course, and like everyone else I knew that read, I started with Jules Verne.  I think I read one Tom Swift book, I don't think I finished it.  I read damn near everything Robert Heinlein wrote.  I read H.G. Wells, of course, and George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, and Piers Anthony.  I read Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury, Greg Bear and Roger Zelasny, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and C.J. Cherryh, Philip K.Dick and Denise Levertov, Ursula Le Guin and Sheri S. Tepper, E.E. Smith and Philip Jose Farmer, H. Rider Haggard and Frank Herbert, Elizabeth Moon and Lester del Rey, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Mercedes Lackey, Poul Anderson and Margaret Atwood.  oh good grief!  look at that list, and I've only started!  I was not encyclopaedic but I was certainly eclectic.  It was a wonderful thirty years, and now and then I get a tickle to try it out again, but there's so goddam much poetry to read!  maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment