Monday, September 12, 2016

256.366 - 2016 project and Robert Graves

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

Robert Graves

sometime after I was a kid but before I was allegedly a man - isn't that funny?  how does one know he is a man? - I stumbled upon Robert Graves.  it was in my late teens, I think, maybe as early as my second year of Latin, that I read _I, Claudius_.  my first Latin teacher had mentioned it, then my second Latin teacher mentioned it too, a year later.  whoa!  then I found it misfiled in the science fiction, and warily sat down to read it.  it sucked me right in.  I even read the sequel, _Claudius the God and his Wife, Messalina_.  I was disappointed to learn that he hadn't written a sequel to that.  I was so pleased with him as a novelist that I read _The Story of Marie Powell, Wife to Mr. Milton_, then _King Jesus_.  oh man!  what a cool writer, I thought, and read his Autobiography, _Goodbye to All That_.  it left me baffled.  he was a poet?  he only wrote novels to make money to support his poetry writing?  how mysterious!  (I hadn't discovered poetry yet.  I knew and loved Bobbie Burns, but thought he was an anomaly.)  oh, but then along came computers, and the unmanned exploration of space, and _Selected Poems of William Carlos Williams_.  the world changed.  my place in it changed.  hunh!  and Robert Graves was waiting for me again, with _The White Goddess_ and a formidable _Collected Poems_.  oh my word!  I read and I read and I read.  (heh-heh-heh.  I just looked at a bibliography of Robert Graves and discovered I had barely skimmed it in my reading.  geez!)  I fell under his spell and had to work my way out of it!  damn, he's a good poet and writer and an interesting person!  he died in 1985 after a busy and crammed ninety years  thank you, Mr. Graves, for all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment