Friday, November 18, 2016

323.366 - 2016 project and Eeyore

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

Eeyore

once upon a time I thought I was a pessimist.  later I thought I was a realist.  now I worry that I'm an optimist. worse, a cockeyed optimist.  my basic point of view hasn't changed.  the world is a wearisomely rotten place about which the only good thing there is to say is that good things sometimes happen to good people.  (I may in fact get my carbine, my Winchester Model 94 30-30 carbine.  I do have my Ruger 9mm semi-automatic pistol.)  but basically, if you wait five minutes, the news will validate your gloom.  (Jeff Sessions for Attorney General.)  "this is optimism?" you might say, and I would wearily, warily, nod my head.  I look at what I expect to happen, I look at what I fear will happen.  yes, what I expect to happen - my Eeyore sayings - are optimism compared to what I fear.  I suspect these are the feast days before the end of the republic.  (I am assuming you remember that the republic preceded the empire for Rome.)  a year from now, those of us who remain will say to those few whom they can still trust, "I know he said he would do X, but I never in my life really expected it."  and the he you're talking about won't be me.  yes, I appreciate Eeyore.  for moments he gives me giddy hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment