Sunday, June 19, 2016

171.366 - 2016 project and mathematicians

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

mathematicians

I have a friend who used to think that mathematicians invented new ways for us to add faster.  I think I have convinced him that mathematics is what we learn after arithmetic:  algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, set theory, groups, rings, fields, topology, probability, statistics.  once upon a time I knew smatterings of most of these, and the basics of several.  I was studying physics at the time, and thought they might be important in that study.  confession:  I mainly studied them because they were so damned much fun!  along the way I made a passing acquaintance of people like Newton, Leibniz, Cantor, Lagrange, Cauchy, Galois, Legendre, Gauss, Fermat, Euler, and probably others, including a few of my instructors.  I was in awe of them.  the physicists I knew studied real things, like stars, electrons, and sub-atomic particles.  mathematicians studied ideas, and the logic that made those ideas special.  I could learn about them, but didn't even have an idea how to have an idea about ideas.  I am still in awe, and very aware that while I've been away, not only have I lost much of what I knew, I've lost my own adeptness at applying logic, and that while I was forgetting, mathematicians were adding to those domains.  if I knew where mathematical east was, I would bow toward it,  mathematicians, I salute you, and thank you for the work you do, what you add to what we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment