Thursday, June 9, 2016

161.366 - 2016 project and Guernica

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

Guernica

ever since I was little, I have loved that painting.  I remember discovering it in _The Book of Knowledge_ or some such approved book for me to browse.  I turned the page and there it was, and I was in awe, transfixed, inarticulate.  only after staring at it, at the bull, at every section of the painting, soaking in that this was a painting, but it was so unlike any other painting I'd ever seen in other books!  only after simmering in amazement for many seconds did I try to show it to an adult.  "Look!" I said reverently.  "Oh, Picasso," whoever it was dismissed.  it was another piece of evidence that grownups didn't know squat about the world I lived in.  I didn't know until later that it was indeed a Picasso, that it was his response to the Nazi bombing of the little town Guernica.  I didn't know until much much later that Guernica was a Basque town, bombed more because it was a Basque town than for any military purpose.  those only enriched that initial awe and inarticulateness.  I can still sit and stare at an image of it.

          http://www.pablopicasso.org/guernica.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment