Monday, June 6, 2016

158.366 - 2016 project and a standard transmission

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

a standard transmission

what a funny name!  it is not standard.  what comes on a car if you don't insist is an automatic transmission.  when you do insist on a standard transmission, you get one with four gears or five gears or six gears.  where is the standard?  but that's just me quibbling about names in English.  tsk upon me!  and wait!  a standard transmission is also called a manual transmission and I have no quibble with that name.  its manualness is exactly what I like about that transmission.  I love shifting at the time when the engine noise sounds right, shifting up or down.  I love using the transmission to slow down the vehicle, letting the engine do the work instead of the brakes.  I love the feet-juggling action required to release the brake pedal and ease into gear without stalling the car when you're stopped on an uphill slope.  as you can see, I love that it requires some skill and lets me show off that skill.  (it should be noted that one shows off skill with a manual transmission by not calling attention to your using one.)  often when we get where we're going, I turn to Lindy and say, "I love using a standard transmission."  I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment