Friday, June 10, 2016

162.366 - 2016 project and strangerness

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

strangerness

I so did not appreciate this when I was a kid!  I didn't know any way to get away from it.  or maybe I did.  I immersed myself among Brasilians, and stayed um Norteamericano.  I did, but I spoke Portuguese like a Brasilian kid once removed.  that is, now, looking back, I don't doubt that Brasilian kids would have heard the foreigner speaking at their language, saying what they said but not quite in the right situations, or half a beat behind.  but I didn't know that then.  I knew my strangerness from a loyalty I felt that I knew they did not.  I knew UnitedStatesean history, or thought I did.  I knew about the founders, knew the pretty-story version of the ideas that went into the Declaration, the Constitution, the Pan-American organization, and knew we (the country portrayed in Brasilian newspapers, in Time, and in The Reader's Digest) didn't live up to them.  but we could, couldn't we?  mightn't we?  I mean, there was Eleanor Roosevelt fighting for the United Nations and what it might mean to the world.  oh well.  before I could resolve that issue to any satisfaction, slam-bam!  I was thrown into this country speaking something like English with a northeastern Brasilian accent.  people I thought of as Spanish-speaking kids could understand me better than the white kids I was supposed to hang out with.  I worked desperately for three years to learn to speak English as if that were normal, and at least learned to speak written English.  but I did forget Portuguese, or made it damn near unreachable.  and I discovered, sorta, that I was illiterate in idiom.  if someone said, "I'm all tied up" (and people useta say that), I wondered why.  if I could see them, there was definitely not a rope or even a string on them.  but even more important were the phrases that every child knew for six months, phrases that baffled the grownups - just about the time grownups figured out the phrases, kids quit using them - and me.  so even after I conquered my accent, or thought I had, I still spoke fractured English, just mended well enough to get by most of the time.  and all that history is still with me.  I frequently find myself stumped for a phrase that a real American would just drop without thinking about it.  I frequently have to invent a way of saying what I mean when a real American would just use a phrase everyone knows.  but that's very useful in poetry, isn't it?  being a stranger to the language means it's always a creation for me, and that creation happens within the boundaries and constraints set by the rules of English I learned in those three years when I was desperately trying to become an American.  but it's not just the language.  the language is just the most obvious way I stumble in real life, among real people.  the culture is a minefield of surprises.  I'm forever learning ohmygodIdidsomethinggauche.  I have become more graceful at sidestepping the consequences of my gaucheries, and using them to learn about the culture that I am supposed to think of as home.  I think it gives me a chance to find and see oddnesses that other people glide by as normal.  so yes, I appreciate my strangerness - most of the time.  there are times I wish I could give it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment