Wednesday, June 1, 2016

153.366 - 2016 project and surprise

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

surprise

when I was little, every morning was a surprise.  goddam!  here I was again!  and here was the world!  the same one?  maybe.  but with any luck it'd have something new to show me, for me to hear, touch, smell, or taste!  goddam!  there were mornings that surprise was so sweet I was up and dressed and gone before anyone else in the house was!  or that's how I remember it.  I don't know what happened, how that became "ho-hum, here's another day" but I suspect it was along about the time when I learned to dread "what will they make me do today?"  school was not a joy for me.  school was reading stupid books.  "oh yippee, 'Run Dick run' again."  it was being told ships didn't have that round bulgy thing at their stern, and going home to an encyclopedia that showed they did too, just like I remembered from the port in Recife.  it was tediously relearning that 1 + 1 was still 2.  but I still loved surprises.  what?  Paulo had a birthday?  I had one of those!  did everyone?  or what was that?  a cart?  but I knew carts, they weren't at all like that at all!  how did this one work?  what did it do?  what made cart-ness?  no, that didn't happen at school, that happened out in the real world, the world I was supposed to hurry through without looking.  thank goodness for that world and its holes where a house would later stand!  for coconuts that fell without warning.  for snakes!  for all the things that could kill you but didn't.  for all the people who answered questions from a nosy little boy who was supposed to be walking straight home.  or who let me watch what I wasn't supposed to see - almost anything real people did.  yes, I loved surprise.  well some surprise, maybe most surprise.  I didn't love being yanked out of Brasil.  I didn't love being thrust into a new place people told me was "home".  but you've read that from me.  enough.  there were a lot of surprises around twelve that weren't that cool, but I got through them.  and now we're back to "what?  another morning?  ouch!  yep, same ole me.  I wonder what new the world has for me today!"  and I have learned that some Native Americans woke to "it's a good day to die" which is another way to prepare for surprises.  death will surely be a surprise, and, I suspect, the end of all surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment