Wednesday, May 11, 2016

132.366 - 2016 project and laptop computers

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

laptop computers

or as some people call them, computers.  having worked on computers since 1965, I've seen a lot of devices called computers:  "big iron", minicomputers, microcomputers, desktop computers, several generations of servers, laptops, tablets, palmtops, smart phones.  I suppose once I get over my bias, I'll see the smart watches as computers, but I'm too cranky to just yet.  why then focus on laptops?  because I'm looking at five of my own and it suddenly occurred to me that I must appreciate them to own five!  so what do I appreciate about them?  well, they're convenient, especially the lightweights.  (a lightweight laptop is not one that barely computes, but one that weighs very little.  mine weigh as much as nearly two pounds, and as little as a few ounces.)  they're portable - you can take them where you need to work, like to a library, or where you need to be, like to someone else's speech. you can use one to do so many things!  you can take pictures, share pictures, make a phone call - with or without video - and sometimes a conference call, you can prepare text, arrange photos, I am told you can compose music on them, I know I can play recorded music on them.  you probably have thought of six uses for them that I haven't.  oddly, one of the things I appreciate about a couple of mine, is that I can hold it in one hand with my head cocked this way then that while I puzzle over what I've done and what I meant to do.  laptops now do actually work in your lap, although most still work most comfortably on a desk or a table.  so yes, I appreciate laptop computers.  may they reign a dozen years more!  (except I have a sneaky anticipation that some even more convenient form of the computer is almost here, climbing into the horizon of imagination or maybe almost into the horizon of practice now.)  compute on!

No comments:

Post a Comment