Tuesday, May 3, 2016

124.366 - 2016 project and copyediting

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

copyediting

Lindy just finished a remarkable task that she did out of love for me.  she read all 366 of my numbered poems from last year, 2015, plus the introduction, the table of contents, the after words, and whatever else was in the manuscript for my book.  by Word's count, she read 490 pages and 65,555 words.  she found those nasty little &%wes! characters that RTF editors insert into your text.  she found uncentered titles that I'd forgotten to center.  she found words like "substitiuons" and "polititicians" that I'd misspelled.  she found words I didn't need and words I did.  she found line breaks I hadn't intended and places where I needed line breaks to help a reader with the sense of the poem.  if you're a writer, you know how much fun it is to see your writing through someone else's eyes.  I accepted all of her corrections but one, and a second I don't know how to fix.  but what a remarkable job she did!  thank you, Lindy.  and thank you other people who do this work.  there ought to be something stronger to say than thank you, but I don't know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment