Thursday, May 5, 2016

126.366 - 2016 project and knighthood

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

knighthood

what a funny thing for me to appreciate!  but I do.  maybe it's related to my appreciation of Sir Walter Scott.  maybe it's related to my appreciation of tales of the Round Table - I have read so many!  but even in more modern times, I cheered for Paul McCartney being knighted.  but really, when I think of knights, I think of the 11th to the 16th centuries, from the Conquerer to the Roses, when knights really armored up, led armies, fought battles, killed and got killed with swords and the like.  close-up weapons.  I have no idea why that's romantic, or why it seems more courageous than firing a rifle or dropping a bomb, but it does.  but I think it's more the code of honor that they represented, or that stories about them represented.  there they were, an eyeblink away from barbarians, and a stand for something like civilization.  like I admitted at the beginning of this paragraph, it's a funny thing for me to appreciate, but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment