Tuesday, April 26, 2016

117.366 - 2016 project and tablet computers

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

tablet computers

I don't use one well.  watching me work with a tablet, a space alien might be reminded of the video clip in which a tot-let carefully un-tweezes a picture in a magazine and calls out, "Mommy, this magazine is broken."  yes, Lindy can do anything with a PDA.  I am not quite a Luddite, but there's a pew near theirs reserved for the likes of me.  but I appreciate a tablet.  some of you know I present my poems from a tablet, an iPad as a matter of fact.  but I don't compose on it.  or almost never.  and I have a Pixel C, which comes apart and becomes a tablet.  and a Surface Pro 3, which also comes apart and becomes a tablet.  (yes, I'm a computer nut.  I confessed that to you back in post 033 in which I admitted to owning 7 computers.)  but tablets.  oh for pity's sake!  allegedly you can do anything with a tablet.  on television, you see people with a tablet unlock a fortress, fly a helicopter, launch a missile, all kinds of things.  I don't think any of my tablets have those powers, but any of them is vastly more powerful than the computers I worked with when I began this journey in 1965, or in the dozen years after, and none of them has to read a tape to do any of its tasks!  (that was a joke for really old timers.)  but really, you can write text with one, edit it, fight off autocorrect.  you can include a picture or a drawing or an exploded diagram, and flow the text around it or through it.  (you can even write or edit a blog entry on a tablet!)  you can take a photograph or a snapshot or a selfie, you can tinker and toy with that picture, you can send it to another person.  you can email and facebook and twitter and do other ways of social media.  you can do hundreds of things with a tablet that I haven't even thought of a reason for - it's true, I'm pretty pedestrian about what I do with computers.  but I'm sold on tablets and computers that transform into tablets.  I'm not sure wearables can replace them.  but then, I once wondered - aloud, I'm afraid - what useful task one would ever do with a personal computer.  I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment