Thursday, April 7, 2016

098.366 - 2016 project and southern California

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

southern California

I've lived here 40 years now.  I came out for a three months assignment in 1976.  At that time I thought I lived in Colorado and only worked here for a while.  But one thing led to another and another and I've lived here 40 years now.  I got to work at JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) 13 or so years, and for JPL 10 of those.  I got to ride, if not all over southern California, then at least pretty much the breadth and depth of it.  I focused my riding in the deserts, the mountains, and along the coast.  I saw wonderful scenery, and listened to interesting people at my stops.  I married my second (and final, she reminds me) wife here.  It's been a fascinating and educational stay!  much of it has been wonderful.  southern California was and is a great place to ride a motorcycle, and it was and is a great place to write poems too.  I'm not sure I've made it my home, but I've lived here 40 years now, and when people ask where I'm from, the first answer that comes to mind is, "southern California."

No comments:

Post a Comment