Wednesday, March 16, 2016

076.366 - 2016 project and Scott Asnin

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

Scott Asnin

oh man!  Scott Asnin has been my friend since 1966, maybe since 1965!  I didn't even know how to make a friend back then, so it was all his work.  I can still remember his bright eyes (hard to do when they're black) and big grin the afternoon we met.  I didn't even know how to grin back then, but I automatically tried.  I can't even imagine now what that must have looked like.  how long ago was 1965?  We both had short hair, I think mine was a flattop. and we both wore suits to work, so we could look like every make-believe-engineer around us.  (real engineers get licenses and become partners in the firm.)  we were both making more money than we'd ever imagined, and he was saving his while I was spending mine to balance him out.  who won?  well, he retired when he was forty-somethin' and has never had to go back to work.  I worked til I was sixty-nine and retired very carefully.  by the time he retired, he had bought his land in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies, built a cabin on it, been named the engineering employee of the year a couple of times, invented new techniques for the work we did on trajectories, and survived Houston without having to escape in the dark of night.  oh!  and he'd proven himself as my friend several times over.  we even shared an apartment once for about three months - isn't that the limit for grown men? - when we'd each just gotten a divorce.  we rode motorcycles together way back when I still rode a Honda - he was one of the nicest people and I faked it - and introduced me to Ron Slovikowski, but that's another story.  Scott Asnin!  a real friend for a really long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment