Sunday, September 27, 2015

028.365 - the childhood I never had

some things there ain’t no tellin’
the ghost in Miz Alexander’s house
I wasn’t even spoztabe in there
the tree house out near the leaves
where the branches bobbed an’ weaved
whenever we shifted where we sat
the hammer I dropped an’ how close it came
well, never mind, just too damn close
the kiss I stole from Linsey Appleby
when I startled her walkin’ in her robe
the night Joey an’ I stole the mayor’s car
an’ left it parked by Uncle Emory’s still
didn’t none of us know whose Uncle Emory wuz
or the time fireworks lit the sky damn near all night
on July third - I ain’t sayin’ I knew anything about it
or lit any match
but I was outside an’ ridin’ Johnny’s bike
bent over an’ pushin’ pedals hard
as if Satan himself was chasin’ me
instead of Johnny’s father
an’ when the sky lit up an’ the ground shook
I did think maybe Satan had caught up at last
an’ meant to whup me for all the times I blamed him
the dazzles an’ the roars went on an’ on an’ on
an’ Johnny’s father forgot all about me
I rode the bike back to his house an’ left it
an’ fireworks kept explodin’ across the sky
so maybe I didn’t have nuthin to do with it at all
but I been mighty careful since then what I do at night
some things there ain’t no tellin’ ‘bout at all
but damn they sure worth rememberin’

No comments:

Post a Comment