Thursday, September 24, 2015

007.365 - the beach in Watts


                                 How mad will you be? - Brendan Constantine

I stare at him
not angry, mad
as in Hatter
as in George III
as in the rulers of Europe in 1914
when war was as unnecessary as ice cream
yet the only choice they had once the prince was shot
"how mad will you be?"
but as an artist not a helpless
not as the young man chasing the tumbrels
yelling that he too was an aristocrat but without a name
insisting and insisting til the courts finally had to behead him
to shut him up and let them get back to their work
beheading the real aristocrats
the ones who had titles and names and land
"how mad will you be?"
like van Gogh
or maybe Picasso
and I imagine myself staring at the ocean
with both eyes on one side of my head
or with one of them perpendicular to the other
watching and watching the breakers roll onto the beach
over and over as if maybe just once the sand would turn gold
or the sea horses would sprout sea knights
with armor that would cover but not smother their gills
and wonder if I should run sit on the beach
and stack seashells
higher and higher till I had to lean the stacks on each other
for mutual support
and to imitate those towers in Watts
no, wait, I'm a poet
I say and remember the tumbrel chaser
"how mad will you be?"
if I am to stack
it's words I must stack 
words and images and metaphors and similes and more words
climbing and winding around themselves and reaching for the sky
til I too can stand back
look at a structure solid enough to last years
but seeming as fragile as earbones
as intricate as Faberge eggs
look at it and feel helpless
what will I do next?
turn to someone and ask
"how mad will you be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment