Tuesday, December 13, 2016

348.366 - 2016 project and time running out

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

time running out

oh man!  yes!  never have I so appreciated the idea of time running out as I do now.  in this case it's not just that I'm 74 and have had a sequence of cautionary incidents since 2012, but there is also this election, and a sense that everything changes come 20 January 2017, and changes for the worse.  maybe not.  maybe not.  maybe we just enter a new phase in the struggle for what this country means, especially what it means to and for poor and working class citizens, and for minority citizens.  but for me, time is running out, and I know no next thing to do.  and tonight, it's ten o'clock and I haven't finished an appreciation.  I haven't made promises for this next week.  (both are due by midnight.)  it's a perfect storm of time running out!  funny.  my solution?  I want my new carbine, I want a gun range, I want to shoot fifty rounds into a target or a sequence of targets.  no.  it wouldn't give me back any time, it would in fact use up time and move nothing forward on any of those time running outs.  it would just soothe and distract me.  sigh.  I think there is something very little boy in that solution.  okay, despite myself and my indirection, here is an appreciation - and it is an appreciation - of time running out.  and finishing it gets me down to making promises for next week.  as well as I can tell, there still is nothing I can do about the next presidency.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't figure out how to say it in the appreciation, but part of my sense of the impending doom is that the year is almost done. I only have 18 more appreciations to write. time is running out!

    ReplyDelete