Friday, August 5, 2016

218.366 - 2016 project and danger

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

danger

when I was seventeen going on eighteen, I was sure I was going to grow up and be a Marine officer.  I read everything I could about being a Marine officer, not just the recruitment papers - as I recall, there wasn't much of that, you were either already gung-ho or there was no use in selling you - but biographies of Marine officers, magazine articles about them, the Encyclopedia Britannica article about the Corps.  I think I not only knew who the Commandant was, but also the General who was responsible for the boot camps.  I think I knew what each of them had done during Korea and World War II.  I still remember reading that the life expectancy of a Marine lieutenant during a beach operation was twenty seconds, and I remember the smile I grew reading that.  yes, this was the life for me.  of course it wasn't!  don't be silly!  I was born with a heart murmur, a hole in the wall between my ventricles.  you couldn't drive a truck through it, but a good Marine might've been able to thread a Jeep through it.  no, I wasn't going to be a Marine officer.  but the point of this anecdote is that smile.  ever since I decided to defy whatever the doctors told my father, oh hell, maybe ever since I was born (remember the cave?), I've been a danger junky.  I was a boy!  I ran, I fell, I jumped, I climbed trees, I figured out how to get from tree to tree without climbing down, I stood at the edge of a cliff, I climbed cliffs.  as I told the physical therapist yesterday, I've done a lot of foolish things in my life.  the common thread is defying danger, defying being scared, and ultimately defying death.  so far death hasn't collected me.  I guess it can wait.  but the funny thing is, I don't regret a one of those defiances.  they're all related by that smile.  whatever I've done, this was the life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment