Friday, July 22, 2016

204.366 - 2016 project and chromebook

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

chromebook

unless you really like different kinds of computers, you may not know what a chromebook is.  it's a laptop that doesn't need much storage (storage is your disk or whatever you use to save your data and programs and work on) because it uses the cloud.  yes, you can reserve your own little turf in the cloud - your "little turf" usually winds up being bigger than a typical hard drive (disk) - and save your data and programs and work there.  some people use that "turf" for backups only.  some people use it as working space.  with a chromebook it basically replaces your disk.  "oh no!" says a friend of mine.  "trust the cloud?  what if it rains?"  yeah, yeah.  so the chromebook assumes an internet connection, a fast one.  you don't want to spend all your time waiting for bits to flow to or from the cloud.  I think a chromebook is a fine idea.  I'd like to see it work.  right now, it sorta does.  I do not have access to my "little turf" except from my chromebook, which makes sharing a file or transferring my work to a different computer (remember I use seven) difficult.  so far, using Dropbox is more convenient.  Dropbox doesn't care whether I access a file from an Apple computer or a PC.  it just lets me work on the file, then save it.  Dropbox is very convenient.  in my ideal world - I don't get there very often - my chromebook would work the same way.  in my ideal world, I can do an hour's work on my chromebook, and half a day later, if I have an idea while I'm working on my Mac or on my Surface Pro 3, I can just add that idea to the chromebook file and keep on doing what I'm doing on the Mac or the PC.  maybe someday chromebooks will work that way.  right now the makers assume you will work either on the chromebook - and you can - or not on the chromebook.  hmpf.  still, I like the idea of the chromebook and continue to experiment with it.  I'm betting that someday the chromebook people will get less proprietary about my "little turf" and my complaint about it will go away.  and yes, I do trust the cloud.  and no, I don't expect rain from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment