Wednesday, July 20, 2016

202.366 - 2016 project and email

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

email

email!  for heaven's sake, email!  before email, I was a miserable correspondent.  I don't mean I went out on the misery battlefields and sent back articles and columns about how we were coping.  no, you would send me a handwritten letter, probably in cursive (for those of you who don't remember, cursive doesn't mean a string of foul words, it means the handwriting in loops, arcs, straight lines, and dots in which all the letters in a word are connected), and I would be so pleased I'd probably read it twice, then set it down in a stack of other letters I needed to answer, and have such good intentions of answering you right away!  and then one day I'd have an oh-my-god and for a day or two or three, I'd write and write and write, probably in cursive, until I almost cleared that stack of letters to answer.  heaven help you if yours was the letter on the bottom.  it might take a year for me to get to it.  and then I'd have to start a new stack.  and then someone invented email.  no, email was invented at about the same time as the internet.  I didn't discover the internet until about 1994, and that discovery may have caused the Northridge earthquake.  and soon after I learned about email, and started using it to communicate with all four people I knew who also used email.  the internet was a different world then.  eventually almost everyone I knew communicated by email, and I'm usually much better about answering emails right away.  it is true that I sometimes get behind, and we have to wait til I get another oh-my-god and mostly catch up with all my emails.  if I've owed you an email for more than six weeks, you probably should send it to me again.  I've probably lost it.  a stack of emails is not as much clutter as a stack of letters was.  it doesn't nag as well.  but damn, email is convenient in so many ways!  so convenient that occasionally I have to get out a piece of paper and a writing implement (a pencil or a pen, preferably not a ballpoint that skips and stutters and clots and plops) and practice cursive again until I'm pretty sure someone else could read it.  praise email!  thank you whoever invented it!  and thank you all the programmers who have since made emailers so straightforward and elegant!  I love email!

No comments:

Post a Comment