Thursday, July 14, 2016

196.366 - 2016 project and northeastern Brasil, 1945-1954, part seven

every day in 2016, write a sentence or a paragraph or a poem that appreciates

northeastern Brasil, 1945-1954, part seven

sigh!  I never would have thought I had so much to appreciate here when I started this sequence.  (remember the caveats:  1945-1954 is once upon a time, and these come from the memories of a boy two-and-a-half years old to twelve years old, remembered by a seventy-four-year-old man.)  I think we get to finish today with two incidents, one at the blue-grey house, and one before it.  they may be funny to you, they may horrify you.  be prepared.  I think I have told you about the nice neighbor who showed movies every Saturday night, or every Sunday night.  so by roughly 1954, I had seen more movies than I knew existed before 1952.  Do you remember movies before 1954?  everybody smokes.  it was weird.  in my everyday experience, nobody smoked, nobody drank, nobody drove a car, nobody did any of the things that everyone did in movies.  well, a small variation, when I wandered from "straight home" after school, almost every day after school, I saw men smoke, I saw men and women drink, and I saw men and women interact in ways that nobody did in my everyday life.  it looked like fun, but I didn't know how to get a girl to do that with me any more than I knew how to get to drive a car.  but smoking I might be able to learn.  when I did some task at home really, really well, sometimes my mother gave me cinco centavos,  if I did a task superbly well, sometimes she gave me dez centavos.  neither cinco nor dez centavos amounted to a spendable amount, but they added up.  one day they had added up to enough.  I snuck off to the little news stand that sold a little of this and a little of that on the side.  I bought enough candy to bribe my sister and my brothers not to tell on me.  then I asked for two cigarettes, and a box of matches.  the man looked troubled.  "you know I can't sell these to you if they're for you."  I didn't know any such thing, but I nodded seriously.  "they're for the servants at my house," I lied.  he studied me, shrugged, and sold them to me.  I had planned right!  I had no money left.  I walked home, distributed the candy after exacting promises, then went back into the walled-away back yard.  man oh man!  I burned through nearly every damned match in that box, and I blew and I blew and I blew through the cigarettes, just like I was sure those people in the movies did, but I could not get either cigarette to light.  "here, let me show you," my little sister offered.  I suspiciously handed over the cigarettes and matches, but she had no more luck than I did.  eventually, almost out of matches, I gave up.  years later, in high school, I just about fell over when I watched guys smoke and recognized that they sucked!  I hurried over to the drugstore, bought a pack of Camels, and got free matches!    sure as hell, inhaling was the trick!  I finished my first cigarette, rolled the pack into my T-shirt sleeve, and damn near strutted home.  but back to Brasil and roughly twelve years old.  I puzzled and puzzled and puzzled over those failed cigarettes, and watched and watched and watched, and never tumbled to inhaling!  <shaking my head>  maybe it was the magic of the place.  maybe twelve-year-olds don't need to smoke, and oughta wait until it's cool.  in any case that's how it happened for me.  and the other story I meant to tell you today will take at least as long, and probably deserves its own paragraph, so there will be a part eight tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment