Wednesday, December 23, 2015

357.365 - unused words

but what about all the words, he said
you don't use
we sat on a bench that overlooked
a field where it seemed
two hundred kids ran around
after five soccer balls
or maybe each other
half a dozen parents stood around the field
some of them grinned
but maybe three dozen surrounded
another field across it
where two teams played dignified soccer
with referees and coaches
rules, tickets, and scores
they lurk, I said
play on a nearby field, perhaps
I nodded toward what we watched
but he looked at me, puzzled
I tried again
they're always about
playing disorderly games with each other
each ready to be a substitiute
if we run out of team members
I thought a moment
a few, of course
will probably never play
not on the real field
antidisestablishmentarianism
for instance
I've never thought of a use for it
and it's too cumbersome for play
a great dray of a word
requiring Clydesdales to pull it
all my horses are smaller
more nimble
could barely move the wagon empty
yet quite capable of moving you
from where you are to where I am
he stared at me a while
as if I should go on
then made a dissatisfied face
buttermilk, he said, rutabaga,
airfoil, Neufchatel, spigot
perfectly good words
I smiled and nodded
he looked back at the two fields
maybe watched for a while
then turned back to study me
I think I get it, he said
then stood and walked away
muttering embalmed, station wagon
elephantine, emerald, quartzite

No comments:

Post a Comment