Monday, December 14, 2015

348.365 - the pegasus

the unicorn landed on the path
in front of me
folded its great wings close
stared at me
shook his massive head, horn-crowned
and looked relieved
"at least you can't see me," he said
and looked about himself
at rocks and forest, gravel on the path
maybe the moon above
barely trusting myself to speak
wide-eyed, I nodded
I pointed, touched my nose, and traced
the spiral out toward him
he looked annoyed and shook his head again
"I'm told you can't
that makes it so, it's pointless for you to argue"
I had heard managers
preachers and politicians, so knew the logic
or lack thereof would triumph
"but I can," I said, out loud, as if that proved anything
perhaps it did
"well, if you must argue," the great beast said
"impertinence!"
it unfolded mighty wings and leapt into the air
swept down those wings
and from aloft looked down on me a moment
then shook his head again
winged off away with one proud blare into the night
and I suppose
I missed whatever potent message he brought me
by arguing trivia

No comments:

Post a Comment