Tuesday, December 15, 2015

349.365 - the fortune

the fortune teller sat there
embarrassed, I suppose
she looked at me
I thought I saw sympathy
but may have just fooled myself
"there will be no charge, of course"
she said, stared at the door
"but," I said, "what did you see?"
she looked at me
she looked through me
past me
"that's just it," she said
"you will pay me
I will decline
you will insist
and then you'll stand
turn and walk out of here"
she paused and touched her ear
"and then nothing"
"oh, come on!" I laughed
"do I turn left?  right?
walk straight ahead?
is there a woman?"
she met my eyes a moment
then stared at the door
"you do not understand"
she said, "I don't.
you walk out of here
then I see nothing"
annoyed, I stood
threw a fifty on her table
stepped to the door
glanced back
she stared at me and past
hands over her mouth
I ducked out of her tent

No comments:

Post a Comment