Tuesday, November 17, 2015

321.365 - another omen wasted

the bird stopped the slow stroking of its wings
and fell out of the V-formation
the other birds shifted to reshape the V
and kept on flying, going wherever they headed
but that bird fell and fell and splashed
into the lake, it sank, then rose again
and floated a brief time, no dog swam out
to retrieve it so it sank again
no hunter cursed that I heard
just as I had heard no gun
I wondered that I had noticed
I mean, nothing called out that death
a bird that had flown powerfully for miles
gave out and plunged just as I happened to look
evening continued darkening and I walked home
wondering if what I'd seen meant anything
if there were some part of some story
I was supposed to play but didn't know my role
I shrugged and hung my jacket inside the door
perhaps some old one-eyed woman will appear
and demand my story, more likely not

No comments:

Post a Comment