Thursday, November 5, 2015

309.365 - what we found

the old man said
"you boys
this is the ninth day in a row
my meditations have been interrupted
by curious tourists
it's time to move
deeper into the mountains
higher"
"perhaps," I said
easily guilted and meaning to help
"you should find a less sightful place
one where people wouldn't climb to
just to see"
he looked at me
studied me and grinned
he stood and bowed
hands in namaste
"such wisdom," he admired
"anywhere I go," he nodded
"the world has something to show
the longer it takes me to see that something
surely the greater reward for seeing"
he winced and shook his head
"listen to me," he said
then frowned and shook his head
"no, do not, but nine days of talking to people
and I am looking for greater rewards
I wonder
is any seeing greater than another?"
he shook his head again and stood
looked perplexed for a moment
then jumped down off his rock
looked around and picked up a backpack
not so much unlike our own
then waved and walked into the brush
"should we follow him?" Robert worried
Ned shook his head
"whatever he experiences
that's what he experiences
if he wanted a gang of disciples
he would collect them"
not knowing what else to do
we sat down around the rock
staring out at whatever there was to see
we had not been there long
when a family interrupted
the little girl squatted and studied me
"are you real?" she asked
"too much so," I grinned
but her mother called her away
her older brother stepped nearer then
"what does that mean?" he asked
"that I'm still stuck with meaning"
I grinned and shook my head
he cocked his and asked, "do you make sense?"
"too much," I answered
"oh, you're one of those," he said, disgusted
his father called him back to the family
the parents' looks accused us
they led their kids away
offended at the likes of us
in their world
we didn't know what to make of our encounters
til Walt reminded us we didn't want to make anything of them
so we climbed toward the mountain peak
until the wind reminded us we had no jackets
we started back down to the car
chagrinned

No comments:

Post a Comment