Sunday, January 1, 2017

completing 366 appreciations

what do I appreciate about completing these appreciations?  that I did it.  that for a year, a leap year in fact! every day I came up with something I appreciated, looked up what I needed to, wrote my appreciation, edited and polished it, and posted it before midnight.  (I think there was one exception, one day when midnight arrived before I thought to do all that.)  I'm glad I did this exercise, because I had come to a failure to appreciate that had gone on too long.  I hadn't appreciated, and certainly not "out loud", for too long.  I basically had to retrain myself, and I did it publicly.  and I did appreciate, many many things and ideas, like toy trains, and shooting a gun.  has it made a difference in my life?  yes.  Lindy says I'm calmer, and that I accept her corrections more readily.  or more nearly readily.  I can't say - it isn't true - that I spontaneously appreciate now, and I haven't seen any evidence of my appreciating in my poems.  I haven't seen them grow happier or more joyful.  I'm not sure I'd want that.  I don't trust happy poets, or joyful ones.  I know there's a possibility that they've really gotten what the Buddha wanted for us, but I wonder if they are really that insensitive to all the suffering, and all the evil around us.  but that's another story.  or maybe not.  an idea just amused me:  I may not trust those poets, but I appreciate them.  they do a task I cannot.  I'm a serious poet.  boy, am I a serious poet!  so I appreciate them bringing to poetry what I cannot or will not.  <bow>  now isn't that funny?  that in my appreciation of completing 366 appreciations, I learned that I appreciated some people that I hadn't yet learned I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment